Two Nigerians Shot Dead in Durban, South Africa, in Suspected Targeted Attack

   Two Nigerians Shot Dead in Durban, South Africa, in Suspected Targeted Attack.



Two Nigerians, identified simply as Austin and Ayo, have been shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Durban, South Africa.

The incident, which occurred on the night of Thursday, July 9, took place at Austin’s business premises around 8 p.m., according to sources familiar with the development.

Witnesses said three masked men stormed the office, where Austin ran a car business and also sold tyres, and opened fire without uttering a word. Both victims were reportedly shot at close range.

A friend of the deceased, who gave his name as Fidelis, confirmed the tragic incident on Monday.

“Ayo had only come to visit Austin that evening,” Fidelis recounted. “They were chatting when suddenly three masked men ran in, brandishing guns. They shot them on the spot without saying anything. Customers inside the shop fled immediately.”

He added that the sound of gunshots alerted nearby residents, who saw the attackers fleeing the scene. Although the victims were rushed to a nearby hospital, they were confirmed dead on arrival.

A Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) footage reportedly obtained by a source in Nigeria shows the moment the gunmen entered the shop. In the clip, Austin was shot first at close range, while Ayo was shot as he tried to escape.

“We only heard of the incident a week later,” the source told our correspondent. “Some people are speculating that it might be connected to a business disagreement, but no concrete motive has been established yet. So far, no one has been arrested, and the investigation is said to be ongoing.”

Efforts to reach the spokesperson for the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abdur-Rahman Balogun, were unsuccessful as calls to his phone went unanswered. A text message sent to him had also not been replied to as of the time of filing this report.

This latest tragedy comes just months after two other Nigerians, Taiwo Raji and Yemi Akinwunmi, were killed by a South African national in Pretoria on April 20, 2025. The Nigerian Citizens Association South Africa had called for justice in that case as well.

The repeated killings have reignited concerns about the safety and protection of Nigerian nationals living in South Africa.

Comments